The gorgeous Moorish synagogue was built in 1928, designed by Simon & Simon. Back in October, a groundbreaking ceremony took place for the new building. The addition will eventually contain additional classrooms, a new community room on the corner of Broad & Green, an enclosed courtyard, new office space, and an expanded gallery space for the Philadelphia Museum of Jewish Art. Improved accessibility and a couple of green features are also included. Thankfully, the architects designed a new structure that doesn’t attempt to replicate the historic building next door. Instead, we see a new structure that will complement the striking older building, and allow its congregation to step squarely into the 21st century, architecturally.