On this day in Philly history in 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt addressed students at Central High School, in dedication of the school’s new building at Broad and Green Streets. Central, which opened in 1838 as the second public high school in the nation, moved from its original location at Juniper and Market Streets, the location of the Wanamaker Building today. Central remained at the Green Street location until 1939, but as the school kept expanding, it moved yet again to Ogontz and Olney avenues, where it has remained ever since.
Any Central High grads out there?
[For fun, try using this guide to learn how to see the antique image in 3d. It works!]