As you walk along the desolate stretch of Vine Street just east of Broad, Asian Arts Initiative’s three-story headquarters is by far the most inviting building in sight. Greeting you the moment you enter is self-taught street artist Jeff Cylkowski’s vibrant, trippy mural, which covers every inch of wall space along the corridor. Turn to your left, and you’ve stumbled onto what appears to be a beach in Southeast Asia, littered with all sorts of beautiful curiosities—black-and-white family photographs, an old suitcase, the jaw of a mysterious sea creature—with a layer of sand blanketing the concrete floor.
(via At Asian Arts Initiative, Beauty and Progress Abound | Arts and Culture | Philadelphia Weekly)
Neighborhood Security Meeting Summary
Thanks to everyone who came out for last night’s neighborhood security meeting, especially our guests: Councilman Mark Squilla and Officers Ferrero and Williams from the 6th District.
For those who couldn’t make it here’s a summary of what we learned:
- If you see illegal or what looks like illegal activity call 911, tell them where you are, Callowhill, the name of your building, street address… Tell them everything you have seen/heard. Don’t be shy about calling. The police want to hear from us. It’s how they know the area needs their attention.
- Issues like trash dumping call 311
- If you are unsure if an issue is 911 or 311, call 911. If it’s a 311 issue you will be rerouted.
- Officer Joe Ferrero has worked in our neighborhood for 20 years. He works with a team of 12 officers, some in uniform, some plain clothes. Officer Ferrero gave us his cell number- 215-375-0932, call him, if he doesn’t answer leave a message and he will call you back. But remember if its an emergency call 911 first!
- If you see a “camp” set up, people living on the street, call Officer Tonya Brown at the 6th District, 215-686-3060 . These sites are cleared by Sgt. Joe Harper of the 9th District. You can call him directly at 215-686-3090. If you call Officer Brown she will call Officer Harper.
What we can do :
- Light the outside of your property
- Don’t leave ANYTHING in your parked car
- If you have security cameras on your property you can register with the police and help solve crimes.
To register your cameras call Officer Bob Savino at the 6th District, 215-686-3063.
Callowhill Neighborhood Association
PhilaMOCA and The Center for Media and Destiny present
IT’S THE END OF THE WORLD (AGAIN!)
A three-day celebratory symposium on the upcoming apocalypse.
(via IT’S THE END OF THE WORLD (AGAIN!) full schedule | PhilaMOCA)
From a shared fifth floor terrace of the “JBJ Soul Homes” now under construction on the triangle lot where Ridge and Fairmount Avenues meet North Broad Street, formerly homeless and low-income individuals will enjoy one the best views of the Divine Lorraine. The mixed-use project is the result of a partnership between the homeless social service agency Project H.O.M.E. and the non-profit People for People, Inc. Public funding sources combined with grants from the Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation and the Middleton Partnership underwrite the project, which is designed by the firm Kitchen and Associates.
(via With Views Of Divine Lorraine, Affordable Units On North Broad | Hidden City Philadelphia)