“Walking the Eraserhood” represents an ongoing street-level exploration of the Callowhill district and surrounding environs, a sort of virtual walking tour of the neighborhood.
On the northeast corner of this intersection is the former site of the Colonial Revival style Willys-Overland Company building, demolished in 2012, after only two years dedicated as part of CIHD, to make way for a center for the Pennsylvania Ballet. Attached to this lot, just to the north of the Willys-Overland site, stands the 1911 US. Tire Company Building, slated to be occupied by Pennsylvania Ballet as part of the same complex. The southeast corner still contains the Albert Kahn designed Packard Motor Company Building, currently filled with luxury apartments.
Copyright © 2010-2013, Bob Bruhin. All rights reserved.
“Walking the Eraserhood” represents an ongoing street-level exploration of the Callowhill district and surrounding environs, a sort of virtual walking tour of the neighborhood. This is the first installment in the series.
This is the corner colorfully referred to as “The Heart of the Eraserhood.” On the southeast corner of this intersection is the site where David Lynch first lived when he studied at Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts (PAFA). Lynch reports he lived, “right kitty-corner from the morgue,” which still stands on the northwest corner of the intersection, now serving an annex to the main building of Roman Catholic High School, around the block at Broad and Vine streets. On the northeast corner of this intersection stands the historic Heid building, a pivotal site in the formation of the Callowhill Industrial Historic District (CIHD).