Old Fairmount Engine House, Ridge Avenue at Vine Street

The building, facing street. Signs on door and windows read: “Shaw engineering department.” Street lamps and telephone poles on sidewalk; people standing near building; one person stands at rail on second floor. On the left, stores with sidewalk signs for ” ale vaults”, “tobacco” and “carpenters.”


The City of Philadelphia’s photo archive contains approximately 2 million photographic records that date from the late 1800’s. This web site has a subset of those photos. All archive photos may be searched by keyword and date. Archive photos which have been assigned a geographic location are also searchable by proximity to an Address, Intersection, Place Name, or Neighborhood.

Source: PhillyHistory – Detail View